Position Title: Digital Media Intern
Reports to: Vice President of Marketing & Digital Media
Part-time digital media internship responsible for creating and editing content for numerous Alumni Association projects. Works closely with digital media content manager, digital media and marketing coordinator and vice president of Internet services and marketing. Also works with staff photographer and videographer, Web developer, creative director, graphic designer and all communications staff and program directors. Must be able to work in all forms of digital media and write in a variety of styles with high editorial standards for accuracy and creativity.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintains a thorough understanding of the Alumni Association’s mission, and its various programs, along with the audiences these programs serve
• Assists with website, blog and social media activities on behalf of the Association, including content creation, audience engagement and monitoring among all social media sites, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram Linkedin, YouTube and Flickr
• Monitors Web site, web analytics and digital media reporting on a regular basis
• Collaborates with staff to generate and update content in a timely and effective manner and help ensure accuracy at all levels within the site.
• Assists with broadcast e-mails to alumni and constituent groups regarding special events and other news
• Writes and edits copy for communications involving varied Association programs, including membership, programs and alumni events
• Performs other duties as directed or required. These may include lifting heaving objects or other manual labor.
Training and Experience:
Study in journalism, marketing, communications or comparable discipline; newspaper, online or other publishing experience preferred, including experience in higher education or another non-profit setting
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
Proficiency and/or ability to learn software programs required for online communications, including social media platforms, WordPress, Basecamp, SproutSocial, iModules proprietary software, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc.
Superior written and spoken English, including excellent command of grammar and usage and Associated Press style; knowledge of communications and marketing principles
Ability to independently initiate, organize and follow through with assignments and establish and maintain effective working relationships both within and outside the Association
Professional appearance, maturity, cultural depth and breadth, discipline, creativity and integrity.
Commitment to diversity. Willingness to work nights and weekends as required
Knowledge of KU history and traditions