Posted on Jun 2, 2020 in News
The KU Alumni Association shared the following message on June 2, 2020.
As Jayhawks, we abhor acts of racism and violence. The senseless killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and others far too many to name, are painful reminders of the bigotry and injustice that still plague our nation—even as our communities cope with a pandemic that has starkly emphasized the inequities in our health care system and our economy. The KU Alumni Association remains steadfast in our commitment to unite all Jayhawks and strengthen the University of Kansas. Our university and the City of Lawrence were founded by citizens who believed in the freedom of all and the power of education and, for 155 years, many students have come to KU to because of the Jayhawk’s proud history and the ideals the Jayhawk represents.
We ask all Jayhawks to reflect, consider and act on how we can be a part of the solution and not perpetrate, either directly or indirectly, the problems. Dr. Martin Luther King, in his letters from the Birmingham jail, stated, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” He added, “Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”
Mr. Floyd’s brother, Terrance Floyd, spoke powerful words yesterday about his pain and the fact no one could suffer more pain than his at this moment. He also emphasized that violence does not support his brother’s memory. He went on to talk about the importance of being part of the solution.
Jayhawks have always been part of the solution. With our actions, the KU Alumni leadership team will work with the University community to move forward and achieve genuine change. We must continue to be part of the solution, even after the painful memories of these events are no longer fresh in our minds or at the top of news feeds.
The Association pledges to do all that we can to uphold these ideals.
Dave Roland, e’80
National Chair, Board of Directors
Tamara Huff-Johnson, c’12
President, Black Alumni Network
Heath Peterson, d’04, g’09
President, KU Alumni Association
Additional KU resources
- A Message to the KU Community | Office of the Chancellor
- Office of Diversity & Equity | 785-864-4904 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- University Ombuds Office | 785-864-7261 or email@example.com
- Student Affairs Assists | studentaffairs.ku.edu/student-affairs-assists
- Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access | 785-864-6414, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Counseling and Psychological Services | 785-864-2277
- Legal Services for Students | 785-864-5665, email@example.com
- CARE Coordinator | 785-864-9255 or firstname.lastname@example.org