Become a Mentor
Serving as a mentor in the KU Alumni Mentor Network is an opportunity to share your personal and professional experience, knowledge and skills with a current KU student or fellow alumnus. Mentors act as a coach and role model to help promote the mentee’s personal and professional growth.
The KU Alumni Mentor Network is designed with today’s hectic schedules in mind. Your available time and your mentee’s level of need drives the nature of the relationship. Contact can be as simple as a phone call or email and may lead to a meeting.
How it works:
- Mentors update their alumni record and check a box to indicate interest in serving as a mentor
- Alumni seeking mentors can search the mentor directory and contact fellow alumni by email or phone
- Mentors and mentees determine their level and frequency of contact and how to correspond with each other
While job opportunities may result from mentor/mentee relationships, this is not the primary objective of the network. Mentees are encouraged to cultivate a relationship with their mentor that allows the mentee to seek guidance and professional insight into their career field. Mentees should not seek job opportunities from their mentors, and mentors are not required to provide job opportunities for mentees.
This is your opportunity to connect with the powerful Jayhawk network of alumni and make a difference.
Benefits for mentors:
- Opportunity to share experience and knowledge
- Give back to KU students and young alumni
- Maintain a connection to KU
- Expand your personal and professional networks